O'Sullivans Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys Pty Ltd ("O'Sullivans", "we", "our" or "us") is a full service attorney firm with staff qualified to practice directly in Australia and New Zealand and with a network of International associates that enable us to secure IP rights for our clients throughout the world.
You do not have to give us any information to use most of our websites. However, we may request certain details from you if, for example, you request a Free Trademark Search or if you want to subscribe to one of our publications.
When you visit our websites, we may collect the following:
- information you provide by completing forms on our websites (this includes information you give us when registering on any of our websites, subscribing to our services, submitting material or requesting further services);
- information you provide to us if you contact us, for example to report a problem with our websites or raise a query or comment; and
- details of visits made to our websites including, but not limited to, the volume of traffic received, logs (including, where available, the IP address of the device connecting to the websites) and the resources accessed.
Generally we collect personal information directly from you, however sometimes we may collect that information from public records, information brokers and third parties, such as those identified in the "Disclosure of your information" section below.
Use of your information
We use your information in order to provide you with, and improve, our services, for example:
- to ensure that content from our websites is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer and settings;
- to provide you with information and services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you as permitted under applicable law, and to measure the popularity and effectiveness of services such as newsletters, in order to improve what we offer to you and other recipients;
- to maintain and develop our relationship with you;
- for research, planning, service development, security or risk management;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us; and
- to allow you to use or access interactive features or secure areas of our websites, when you choose to do so.
Disclosure of your information
We own the database rights in the information collected via our website. We do not trade in or rent out this information.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties where:
- you have consented to us sharing your personal information in this way;
- we are under a legal, regulatory or professional obligation to do so (for example, in order to comply with anti-money laundering requirements) or in order to enforce or apply our Terms of Engagement (or other client terms) or to protect the rights and interests, property, or safety of us, our clients or others;
- all, or substantially all the assets of an entity within O'Sullivans are merged with or acquired by a third party, in which case your personal information may form part of the transferred or merged assets;
- it is relevant in the circumstances to disclose the information to our clients, your employer or place of business, your professional advisers and parties with whom we have co-promotional arrangements (such as jointly sponsored events);
- we provide anonymous statistical information about users of our websites and related usage information to reputable third parties; or
- we use a third party service provider to provide services that involve data processing, for example archival, auditing, professional advisory (including legal, accounting, financial and business consulting), mailing house, delivery, technology, website, research, banking, payment, client contact, data processing, insurance, forensic, litigation support, marketing and security services.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our websites. For these reasons, any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Third party sites
In addition to our website, which we control directly, we also provide links to websites which are controlled by third parties, including websites of our clients. If you use or follow a link to any of these third party websites, please be aware that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we cannot accept any responsibility for their use of information about you.
If you would like to request a copy of your data that we hold or would like to change the information we hold about you, please contact us.
At any time if you would prefer to stop receiving newsletters and updates from us, please use the "unsubscribe" option included in the email or other material.
Status of this policy